Saturday, September 17, 2022

The Letter Carrier

 


The Letter Carrier


A WWII coming-of age story based on three years of interviews with Michelle Naget, whose family members spent four years as captives in their own home after it was commandeered by the Nazis.

"This book should be mandatory reading for every student in grade 10." N.N. Light, author.

“ . . . filled me with such faith and hope.”

“ . . . harrowing, powerful, and breathtaking.”

“. . . a story that will stick with me forever.”

“The Letter Carrier absolutely took my breath away.”

“Brilliantly and beautifully written!”

When the German march across Europe reaches France, young Michelle Naget and her family join the throngs fleeing for safety. But their flight ends in capture by the Nazis, with one member of the family taken, while the rest of the family is sent back to their village of Braquis, France, to serve the enemy who has commandeered their home.

For the next four years, the Nagets live in the crosshairs of the enemy living under their roof and of the neighbors who question the family's loyalties. Every day becomes a test of faith for Michelle-in God, in family, in the hope that the Allies will come, and in the letters from a young French rebel named Légère who promises Michelle that she will be free again.

But when the Nazis' torment increases, and the razor-thin line between life and death narrows for the Nagets, the family's motto, "We do what must be done," and Michelle's faith in God, give her the courage to face her enemy and do whatever she must to protect the family she loves.

Excerpt:

"While the boys ran and tumbled in the grass, I studied these

refugees. I feared the word and the people it described—dirty,

needy, ragged wanderers. The hungry children were gnawing on a raw parsnip when Mother arrived with the bread. The displaced mother wept over the loaf, and then I felt it, the childishness peeling off my heart, allowing me to see past the soil and tears that marred the peoples’ clothes, to see the spark of divinity hidden behind their downcast eyes. I felt God expand my heart, then bathe me in understanding as Mother’s phrase returned to me—we do what must be done.

"I could no longer ignore the prospect of change because Hitler’s forces were elsewhere, in someone else’s land. His army was near, very near, and coming our way."

"The Letter Carrier"
Available now on Amazon: amzn.to/3ToRpa9
And on other platforms: bit.ly/UTLCLCL






No comments:

Post a Comment